Guess What?

What to Expect When You're Expecting, 4th edition by Heidi Murkoff and Sharon Mazel

Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy by Roger W. Harms, MD (ed)

Yep! It's finally time for a family that includes more than canine children ^_^ Due date is Oct 30th, and we're super-excited!

So, as soon as we found out and the first rush of excitement turned to "oh wow, we have no idea what we're doing here", it was time for the bookstore. These are the two titles that top the list for pregnancy books, and although I haven't shopped around much more, that popularity seems to be deserved.

What to Expect is the quintessential pregnancy book. My mom had a copy of What to Expect, your mom probably had a copy, and at my first appointment, my OB specifically asked if I had a copy. It covers all the basics: what to eat, what not to eat, baby's development, pregnancy symptoms, possible complications, a section for dads, and more. I've poked around on the internet a bit, since that's a default for me, but none of the pregnancy sites I've found have any new information, or at least not new information I'm willing to trust. It's well-organized and I've never had any problems using it. One thing I discovered after buying the book is that there's also a free iPhone app that includes most, if not all, of the text, and the book's website also has a lot of information. I still prefer having the physical book, but it might be a helpful alternative option.

Mayo Clinic Guide is all that and more. It's significantly bigger, and goes into more detail on a lot of the medical aspects, complications and post-birth tips. It's more clinical than What to Expect, with a slightly more formal tone and no funny business (WtE has fun sidebars now and then). One feature that I really like, in addition to the extra information, is charts for every month showing possible worrying symptoms and when to tell your doctor: wait til the next visit, call the next day or get on the phone ASAP.

Overall, either book is excellent and both cover all the basics. If you're expecting a normal pregnancy and don't have many risk factors, What to Expect is probably all you'll need, but if you're interested in the medicine and details, Mayo Clinic may be a better choice. I will say that because it has a more colloquial tone, What to Expect asked and answered a few questions that I'd never quite put words to, but Mayo Clinic didn't really address.

3 comments:

Elle Michalka said...

NO WONDER you were reading twilight, must have been the hormones. ;) ;) Just kidding babe! I'm sooooo proud of you. Keep up the reviews :)

Kristen said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!
That is so exciting :-D. Are y'all going to find out the sex beforehand?
I'm so happy for y'all!

Mama Hobbit said...

Thanks! ^_^ definitely going to find out the sex beforehand, there's no way I can wait the full term to find out!