South Sea Tales by Jack London

I read this book almost a year ago, back when I was actually posting, but I've got it queued, so here goes:

I tend to associate Jack London with icy cold settings and dogs (whether White Fang or The Sea Wolf, there's still plenty of cold + dog connotation), but it turns out he traveled and wrote about the sunny south as well. (No dogs in these either, for what it's worth) Not that the stories are any less brutal than his northern tales, but the change of scene and the cultural backdrop is refreshing.

I remember the stories being somewhat hit and miss, some were very good and interesting, while others were just . . . strange. Expect difficult subjects that might get you banned from the local high school such as slavery, other forms of exploitation and violence. However, London is known for moving past the "Noble Savage" stereotype to show all people as individuals, and these stories are prime examples.

1 comments:

Elle Michalka said...

Love me some Jack London.