An Educated Fangirl

I've been trying to post twice a week, but I didn't have time to write a real review >_< so I'll run a quick plug for an awesome site I just found.

Journey to the Sea is a new online magazine devoted to the study and discussion of myths and comparative mythology. The issues aren't long and there's not too many of them yet, but it's really good stuff. In the first few issues, they briefly cover Milton, Harry Potter, and O.S. Card's Alvin the Maker series.

About a year ago I was thrilled to discover that my fascination with myths and fairy tales wasn't nearly as obscure or random as I thought--there was a big fancy term for it: comparative mythology. Now, I think the field in its purest form is concerned only with ancient myths and possibly their fairy tale derivatives, but I also really enjoy the use of the classic, timeless themes in more modern literature, and Journey to the Sea is looking to be a very nice source for a discussion of both varieties.

2 comments:

randy said...

Hello! This is Randy, editor of Journey to the Sea. I appreciate your kind words about this site, and I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I think you are correct about the term "comparative mythology" referring to ancient myths. (Though I'd probably use the word "traditional" instead of "ancient"; plenty of material like Beowulf and Norse mythology wouldn't properly be considered ancient.)

I've spent some time looking around your blog here, and I have two questions for you:

- What part of Texas are you from? I live in Dallas, Texas.
- Would you be interested in contributing an article for an upcoming issue of Journey to the Sea? I think you would have some good insights to share that would benefit the site.

Anonymous said...

That post followed by that comment is sooo great.